Makes about 55 Ping Pong ball-sized crullers.
- 4 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs plus 1 extra yoke
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- Vegetable oil for the fryer (about 2 quarts)
- Bowl of cinnamon sugar
- In a deep-fryer, heat the oil to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, & salt.
- In a smaller bowl, beat together the eggs, egg yoke, & sugar.
- Add the vanilla, melted butter, & milk to the egg mixture.
- Add the wet mixture into the dry mixture to make a dough.
- Chill the dough in the frig for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the frig and use a tablespoon to create a ball of dough.
- Add 6-8 balls of dough into the deep-fryer.*
- Fry for 3-5 minutes until golden brown, flipping over in the oil half way through.
- Remove the crullers from the fryer and place on a paper towel.
- After 1 minute resting, roll the crullers in a bowl of cinnamon sugar.
- Place sugared crullers on a wire rack to cool.
- After they are entirely cool, store in a tin.
*For best results, at step 8., start by adding only one ball of dough to the deep fryer. At 4 minutes, cut into the cruller at 4 minutes. It should be entirely dry at the core. Adjust your fry time accordingly.